- Amsterdam is the most Coffee-Obsessed Capital City in the World, according to this study!
- Following closely behind in second place is Dublin
- Those living in Pago Pago have the most coffee shops to choose from with 246 per 100,000 people!
- Europe is the continent most obsessed with coffee
The Most Coffee-Obsessed Capital
Brewsmartly.com found that Amsterdam, Netherlands, takes the title of the most coffee-obsessed capital city; with an overall score of 8.71 out of a possible 10!Amsterdam has 116 coffee shops per 100,000 people and a weighted Yelp average rating of 4.03.
Dublin, Ireland, is second only 0.76 away from taking the top spot, with a score of 7.95 out of 10.
In joint third, we have neighbouring capitals Bern (Switzerland) and Paris(France)both with an overall score of 7.43! Bern comes out on top for import value with $419.08 per capita. However, Paris is amongst the top cities for coffee shop ratings at 4.11.
*Completing the top 10 most coffee-obsessed capital cities are:
5th–Prague, Czech Republic (7.17)
6th–Lisbon, Portugal (7.00)
7th– Helsinki, Finland (6.75)
=8th–Pago Pago, American Samoa (6.58)
10th–Wellington, New Zealand (6.57)
|*Rank:||Capital||Country||Weighted Average Rating||Coffee Shops Per 100,000||Import Value Per Capita (USD)||Score|
|=8||Pago Pago||American Samoa||4.31||246||$0.24||6.58|
|*The = symbol refers to joint rankings|
The Most Coffee-Obsessed Continent
- Europe is the most coffee-obsessed continent with half of the analysed countries located on this continent! A total of six coffee-obsessed countries are located in Asia, coming in second.
- Followed closely in joint third are the Americas, both North and South America having five countries obsessed with coffee.
- Oceania comes in fourth with only four countries making it into the top ten.
- Australia, being classed as both a country and a continent takes fifth
- Countries from Africa and Antarctica did not rank in the study at all and therefore the top ten.
- A list of the capital cities in the world and their population were collated.
- Yelp was utilised to find out the number of coffee shops per capita (taking into account varying population sizes) and their ratings.
- The ratings were calculated by the weighted average to take into account the differences between number of reviews for each coffee shop and the rating.
- Coffee import data for each country was used as a variable, calculating coffee imports per capita to indicate the country’s coffee demands.
- The import trade value for the country has been adjusted to the import trade value of capital cities.
- The final variables used are as follows: country, capital, weighted average rating, coffee shops per 100,000, import value per capita (USD), and score.
*the symbol = refers to joint ranking