With the end of lockdown on the horizon and many of us wanting to boost our fitness before we return to the real world, dog-friendly holiday specialist Canine Cottages has teamed up with fitness influencer Amy Lou Perry and her Insta-famous cockapoo Teddy to devise the perfect workout routine for you and your pooch!
And for anyone wanting to get fit with their dog at home, head on over to Teddy’s Instagram at 7pm on Wednesday March 31st when Amy (with the help from Teddy) will be livestreaming the workout to the public for free!
Fitness During Lockdown
During lockdown, the average Brit has been active about three days a week, choosing running, cycling, and home workout classes at their exercises of choice.
Despite the gyms being closed, the demand for fitness is still extremely high. In the past 90 days, ‘home gym’ search trends have seen an increase of 150%, with ‘high-intensity interval training’ seeing a 130% increase in searches.
So, we know that fitness is something many of us have been looking to maintain and keep up during lockdown. And what better way to make it more fun than getting your dog to join in too?
Lockdown and Our Pets
As lockdown eases and people head back to work, the days of spending all your time with our beloved dogs are becoming limited. So, the next few months are the perfect
time to get some last-minute bonding in between you and your pooch.
Not only will working out with your canine friend boost endorphins, it also has the added benefits of lowering your blood pressure and strengthening the bond between you and your dog.
So, grab your dog and let’s get to it!
The Best Dog-friendly Workout to Do with Your Pooch at Home
Canine Cottages has worked with influencer Amy Lou Perry to devise the following dog-friendly workout that you can do with your pooch at home:
- Lunges: 8 reps with 4 sets on each leg. For this exercise, use a treat as a lure to guide your pooch to weave through your legs during each lunge; keeping a treat to their nose will help you achieve this.
- Plank: Whilst in the plank position, alternate your arms and give your furry friend a big high five! Try your best and aim to do this for 60 seconds.
- Squats: 3 sets of 10 reps. Whilst standing, cuddle your dog using both arms across their stomach and chest. If they are too big, squat whilst holding both your dog’s paws so they are on their hind legs for added resistance (Warning… this move can result in lots of dog kisses!)
- Burpees: 3 sets of 6 reps. Jump in the air then bring your hands to the floor by your feet by bending your knees. Continue to extend your legs into a press-up position. Encourage your dog to jump when you jump and go ‘down’ when you’re in the press-up position.
- Wall sit: hold for up to 60 seconds. Providing your dog isn’t too big, hold onto them for extra weight or alternatively have them stand up and place their paws on your knees.
- Push ups: 3 sets of 8 reps. Either engaging in a full press up or on your knees. Encourage your pooch to give you a high five after each press up or, if trained and their size allows you, have them sit on your back for added resistance.
“We hope that people will join Amy and Teddy at 7pm on March 31st on Teddy’s Instagram live. It’s definitely going to be so much fun and it is something to keep us smiling during the last push through lockdown!”
To find out more, please visit: https://www.caninecottages.co.uk/blog/dog-friendly-workout