The classic t-shirt is a must-have wardrobe staple. However, if you're looking for some new ways to wear your tee with different outfits throughout the year, check out these 20 fashionable ways to style a t-shirt and say goodbye to wearing the same old t-shirt look every time!
When was the t-shirt first invented?
The exact origins of the T-shirt are unclear, but it is believed to have originated from the one-piece "union suit" underwear that was popular in the 19th century. In the early 1900s, the U.S. Navy began issuing white cotton undershirts to be worn under uniforms, and by the 1920s, the term "T-shirt" was coined to describe the style of short-sleeved, collarless shirt that was commonly worn by labourers and farmers as a lightweight, breathable alternative to heavier work shirts.
However, it wasn't until the 1950s that the T-shirt became a mainstream fashion item. This was largely due to its association with popular culture and the rise of the youth rebellion and rock and roll movement, as icons such as Marlon Brando and James Dean popularised the T-shirt as a symbol of rebellion and non-conformity. Since then, the T-shirt has become a ubiquitous fashion item worn by people of all ages and backgrounds.
Why is the t-shirt a wardrobe staple?
The T-shirt is considered a wardrobe staple for several reasons:
- Versatility: The T-shirt is a versatile garment that can be dressed up or down, depending on the occasion. It can be worn as an undershirt, as part of a casual outfit, or even as part of a more formal outfit when paired with a blazer or jacket.
- Comfort: T-shirts are generally made from soft, lightweight fabrics such as cotton or polyester, making them comfortable to wear in any season.
- Affordability: T-shirts are relatively inexpensive and widely available, making them accessible to people of all income levels.
- Easy to care for: T-shirts are easy to care for and can be machine-washed and dried without requiring special treatment.
- Self-expression: T-shirts are often used to express personal style or make a statement, with graphic tees, band tees, and slogan tees being popular choices.
Overall, the T-shirt's versatility, affordability, and ease of care make it a go-to item for many people's wardrobes, and its enduring popularity is a testament to its practicality and versatility as a fashion item.
20 fashionable ways to style a t-shirt
- Tuck a plain t-shirt into high-waisted jeans or pants for a polished look.
- Layer a t-shirt over a collared shirt and leave the collar popping out for a preppy look.
- Tie a t-shirt at the waist to create a crop top look.
- Layer a t-shirt over a dress to create a casual, layered look.
- Roll up the sleeves of a t-shirt for a more casual, relaxed look.
- Tuck a t-shirt into a skirt for a casual, yet put-together look.
- Layer a t-shirt under a sweater for a cozy, layered look.
- Knot a t-shirt at the waist to create a crop top look.
- Pair a t-shirt with a blazer for a polished, yet casual look.
- Layer a t-shirt under a jumpsuit for a casual, yet put-together look.
- Tuck a t-shirt into high-waisted shorts for a summery look.
- Layer a t-shirt under a denim jacket for a casual, yet put-together look.
- Knot a t-shirt at the hip to create a crop top look.
- Layer a t-shirt under a cardigan for a cozy, layered look.
- Pair a t-shirt with a maxi skirt for a bohemian look.
- Tuck a t-shirt into a maxi skirt for a bohemian look.
- Layer a t-shirt under a leather jacket for a edgy, yet casual look.
- Tuck a t-shirt into a pair of overalls for a casual, yet put-together look.
- Pair a t-shirt with a pair of wide-leg pants for a chic look.
- Tuck a t-shirt into a pair of culottes for a modern look.