3 Spooky Plant-Based Halloween Recipes to Sink Your Teeth Into!
Looking for some seriously scary dishes to serve up this Halloween? Plant-based food brand Beyond Meat have shared with us these impressive 3 spooky meat-free Halloween recipes to sink your teeth into!
Every year when Halloween comes around, it’s tempting to try and get creative by testing out spooky homemade cocktails, sweets and treats. However, some Halloween recipes can be quite difficult to master and not for the faint-hearted! If you’re looking for plant-based recipes that aren’t too challenging in the culinary stakes then we have you covered! These meat-free Halloween recipes are super easy to recreate yourself and are guaranteed to impress your festive guests!
Spooky Stuffed Pepper Lanterns
Our twist on this BBC recipe will be sure to send spines shivering… You will need:
- 500g Beyond Meat mince
- drizzle of vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 x 400g cans chopped tomatoes
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- 4 mixed peppers
- 100g grated cheddar or vegan cheese
- STEP 1: Cut the tops off the peppers (keeping the tops to one side) and remove the seeds and any white flesh from inside. Use a small sharp knife to carve spooky Halloween faces into the sides. Chop any off-cuts into small pieces and set aside.
- STEP 2:Heat oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6 and heat the oil in a large pan. Add the onion and cook for a few mins to soften. Follow this with the garlic and Beyond Mince. Once the Mince is browned, add the tomatoes, oregano and stock cube. Season as you like and let simmer for 30 mins.
- STEP 3: When the mince is cooked, divide it between the softened peppers.Replace the lids, using cocktail sticks to secure them in place, and put the peppers in a deep roasting tin for 10 minutes with the carved faces facing upwards and sprinkled with your choice of cheese.
Mummified Beyond Sausage
Trick or Treat Yourself with this Sainsbury’s inspired Mummified Beyond Sausage recipe. You will need:
- 4 Beyond Meat sausages
- 375 g of Ready Rolled Light Puff Pastry
- 1 tbsp flour, to sprinkle
- 1 egg, lightly beaten, or vegan alternative
- 4 tsp soft cheese, or vegan alternative, to decorate
- 1 tsp chopped black olives, to decorate
- STEP 1:Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan 180°C/gas mark 6.
- STEP 2:Lightly roll out the pastry to 0.5cm thick over a floured surface, and cut vertically into long thin strips, about 0.5cm wide. You’ll need 1-2 strips per sausage.
- STEP 3:Wrap the pastry strips around each Beyond Sausage to create a mummy-like look. Brush with the beaten egg or vegan alternative and then pop onto your lined baking tray. Bake in the oven for 18-20 minutes,
- STEP 4:To add the spook-factor, place two blobs of soft cheese (or your alternative) for the eyes, then top each blob with a small piece of black olive.
Monster Beyond Burgers
Finally, no Halloween is complete without the iconic Beyond Burger. Our Tesco inspired monster burger recipe will leave your skin shivering but your stomach satisfied! You’ll need:
- 4 Beyond Meat burgers
- 4 slices of Cheddar cheese (or vegan alternative)
- 4 burger buns, halved
- 2 tbsp vegan mayonnaise
- 4 lettuce leaves, halved
- 4 sliced gherkins (or 1 large gherkin, sliced lengthways into 4)
- 2 tbsp ketchup
- 8 olives stuffed with pimientos
- STEP 1:Preheat the grill and cook the burgers for 4 minutes on each side. Meanwhile, cut 1 side of your choice of cheese slice in 4 zigzag patterns using the tip of a knife, to create the look of ‘teeth’.
- STEP 2: For each burger, spread the vegan mayonnaise on both halves of the bun. On the bottom half, place a piece of lettuce, then add your Beyond Burger. Lay a gherkin slice over the over the top to create a ‘tongue’. To complete the mouth, place your zigzag slice of cheese, then squeeze in your ketchup.
- STEP 3:Finally, skewer the olives on 8 cocktail sticks and push 2 through the top bun to make the eyes!